Submit Articles to the Ringgold Band

by admin on January 18, 2011

The Ringgold Band is interested in any articles, anecdotes, recollections or reflections you might like to share about the concert band or brass band genre.

To contribute an article for this webpage and for our printed newsletter, please send it to the editor at davemyers@ringgoldband.com. Check out these articles penned by band members and others with strong ties to Ringgold Band:

{ Comments on this entry are closed }

by Maria Reichenbach, Ringgold Band Historian

Charles Evans Cemetery was founded in 1846 by Charles Evans, a local lawyer who saw the need for Reading to have a cemetery somewhat removed from the city. To fulfill his wish, he donated the initial 25 acres of land for such a place. On February 24, 1846, the cemetery was incorporated and the trustees were instructed to “lay out, ornament, plant and embellish the lands as a place for public interment and no street, lane or road shall hereafter be opened through the lands so occupied as a cemetery and that the cemetery should be totally exempt from all taxation.” Today, Charles Evans Cemetery encompasses approximately 120 acres. The office building, located near the main entrance, provides a good starting point for touring the cemetery.

The list of gravesites in the cemetery reads like a “Who’s Who Among Reading and Berks County.” Some recognizable names are Muhlenberg, Mengel, and Hiester. The cemetery is also the final resting place for notable artists, mayors of Reading, members of Congress, soldiers, historians, governors, state senators, and, of course, musicians. The gravesites of two Ringgold Band directors can be found here. Joseph Winter, director of the band from 1865–1870 and 1873–1900, is buried here as well as Monroe Althouse, director from 1901–1923. The year 1999 marks the 75th anniversary of the death of Althouse, best known for his marches he composed specifically for local organizations and events in Reading. Major James McKnight, leader of the Ringgold Light Artillery and strong supporter of the band in the 1860s, is also buried there.

Though many of the tombstones in Charles Evans Cemetery are worn from the years, the history of Reading and the Ringgold Band are vividly displayed there.

{ 0 comments }

Congressional Cemetery: Washington’s Forgotten Landmark

January 18, 2011

by Maria C. Reichenbach, Ringgold Band historian Thinking about planning a trip to Washington, D.C.? Probable destinations include the monuments and various Smithsonian museums. How about adding a cemetery to your agenda? This might sound a little morbid to some but cemeteries hold a wealth of Information and history. Congressional Cemetery, named for several members […]

Read the full article →

Ringgold Band Memories: Reflections on John Philip Sousa

January 18, 2011

Contributed by Dr. Paul G. Fisher, Millersville, PA The name John Philip Sousa generates widely encompassing thoughts involving history, bands, music and entertainment. “Sousa” especially connotes musicianship, royalty, the highest of standards… and to this ten-year-old cornetist Sousa meant all of this – and more. My esteemed cornet teacher, Eugene Z. Weidner, conductor of the […]

Read the full article →

Gone But Not Forgotten: The Ladies Auxiliary of the Ringgold Band

January 18, 2011

The Ladies Auxiliary of the Ringgold Band was formed on May 15, 1930 and conducted business at Ringgold Band headquarters at Fourth and Penn Streets in Reading. Officers elected at this first meeting were; President – Mrs. Robert Rehrer, Vice President – Miss Olga Weidner, and Secretary/Treasurer – Mrs. Fred Breininger. Special guest at the ladies’ […]

Read the full article →