The Ladies Auxiliary of the Ringgold Band was formed on May 15, 1930 and conducted business at Ringgold Band headquarters at Fourth and Penn Streets in Reading. Officers elected at this first meeting were; President – Mrs. Robert Rehrer, Vice President – Miss Olga Weidner, and Secretary/Treasurer – Mrs. Fred Breininger. Special guest at the ladies’ first meeting was Eugene Weidner, director of the band. At this first meeting it was decided to hold monthly meetings, and dues were set at 10 cents per month.
In addition to being a social club, the auxiliary also held many fundraisers for itself and the Ringgold Band. One of the more popular events was the card party. Tickets were sold for 50 cents each. The auxiliary ladies would donate door prizes, and the parties netted between $15 and $25. The ladies also did charitable work, making up baskets at Christmas time for needy families or band members. They also sent cards and flowers to sick members.
After one year of existance, the auxiliary had enough funds in the treasury to donate $100 to the band. This was to become an annual event. The money was raised from card parties, selling Jell-O® and aprons, and dues. The women donated much of their time and money to this cause. Another annual event for the organization was a picnic that brought the band members and their families together.
By September 1931, the group was meeting at the new band headquarters in the American Legion Building at 133 North Fourth Street, Reading. Membership grew to 29 ladies. Meetings consisted of reviewing financial records and then ending with games and refreshments. Quarterly birthday socials were held, and sometimes the band would serenade the ladies. In 1937, meetings were hold at Ringgold Band headquarters at 144 North Fourth Street, Reading. By this time, the auxiliary had donated a total of over $800 to the Ringgold Band. It continued to exist in many forms through the years but eventually faded from sight.
The Ladies Auxiliary – gone today but not forgotten – its spirit of friendship and camaraderie alive in the Ringgold Band.